Thursday, October 20, 2005

Wedding, December 11th '04 - Thailand (Part 2)

Here we go, part 2 of my wedding adventure in Thailand!

The morning events concluded at about 1pm, but by the time we wrapped things up and adjourned back to the hotel it was almost time to get started on preparations for the evening ceremony. Didn't get much time to rest at all.


Noon had to get into her dress and had to have her hair and make-up done again. Was really nice of her sister for being there to help and keep Noon company.


Here are photos of the banquet hall prior to the arrival of the guests. Surprising that they could accommodate all our 500 invites and still have plenty of room to spare.


The wedding cake, ice sculptures and decorations were all provided by the hotel as part of our wedding package.


I did say that we had 500 guests, didn't I? Well here's what it looked like from the stage when they all turned up!


The evening kicked off with Noon and I getting water poured over our hands by each and every one of our guests (with the exception of children younger than ourselves). I believe this was symbolic of us receiving well wishes of luck and prosperity from our elders. We had to kneel the entire time but luckily cushioned paddings were provided for us, but we had wrinkly, pruny hands by the end of it all :)


A picture with family and we were on to the requisite speeches. Noon delivered hers in both Thai and English, the latter for the benefit of my side of family as well as our friends from overseas. My speech was completely in English, but the Master of Ceremonies was provided a translation transcript of it in advance.


The cutting of the cake! There really wasn't much cake to go around, and not everyone had some. Heck, I don't think I even got to have a slice myself :)


We also had to light a few candles too, and at the conclusion of the evening event pinch them out with our fingers. I must say the props provided were quite elaborate indeed, was impressed by all the detail work on altar and its decorations.


Managed to take some pictures with our respective families once we got off the stage.


Had to pose outside the banquet hall for photos with all the guests, but I still like the ones with just me and my wife alone best :)


Remember Iain who gave Noon away at our Australian wedding? Well here he is with his wife Robyn at our Thailand wedding. Yes, they came all the way over just to be with us! Noon and I were both very touched.


And last, but definitely not least, our two very good friends Off and Nid, whom we'd come to know while at University in Australia. They're both living in Thailand now, and had been instrumental in helping us with all manner of arrangements. We couldn't have pulled things off without them.

And there you go! That's the story of our wedding told on Sam and Rosie's blog :)

Noon and I were exhausted at the end of it all, and at times things were less than smooth but we got through it. Was a rather interesting event, I think... and I'm still learning more of the Thai culture with each and every visit I make to the country.

1 comment:

chase said...

beautiful, just beautiful~