With that, we decided there wasn't much we could do so off we went to work. I'd intended to call the vet to arrange for an appointment later in the afternoon. The plan was for us to wait until we got back from work to see if the swelling had gone down, we'd assess it and if needed, we'd then bring her to the vet.
Instead, when I rang up, I was told that I should bring Rosie in immediately. The vet thought it was most likely an allergic reaction to a bee sting or insect bite, and complications could arise causing difficulty with Rosie's breathing. Sounded serious enough and I couldn't bear to consequences should the worst case scenario arose. So, off I went to pick Rosie up from home and dropped her off at the vet where she was to be given medication to counteract the swelling and where she would be kept under observation for the rest of the afternoon.
Here's proof that you can never keep a good dog down! She had her favourite toy in her mouth when greeting me when I got home to pick her up :) Looked really comical having it in her mouth with her face all swollen up like that, and her tail was going at a hundred miles an hour wanting to play.
Am happy to report that Rosie's swelling has gone down almost completely this morning. She was looking like her old self again, and was tumbling all over the yard with Sam when Noon and I woke up. I personally think it was from a spider bite. The weather has been warming up lately and quite a few spiders have been spotted around the house. Big huntsmen that are not poisonous but can still give a pretty nasty bite.
Unfortunately, because of the dogs' nature, Rosie's unlikely to learn from the mistake and avoid spiders in future... that's what the vet told us. Silly dog... ah well, that's life!